Thursday, May 10, 2012

Project Apocalypse Library - Stay Alive: Survival Skills You Need

Stay Alive; Survival Skills You Need by John D. McCann

This is the actual first actual book I've read on survival, I've read several electronic versions on my iPad, but I felt the need to clarify that this was an actual book, for some reason unbeknownst to me. But anyway, I digress. This isn't a surviving TEOTWAWKI or apocalypse survival, but just a survival book. For the basic of survival I think (with little knowledge on the subject) that this book is a very helpful beginners guide to survival. The book touched on many aspects of what could be used as bug out skills, from mentality to EDC's to fire starting, water purifying and food. What I liked about the book the most was that it gave pictures of actual products that you could look up online and buy, (a couple that I already purchased were featured in the book). The writer goes into good detail with terms a beginner can understand about how to survive many situations. Teaching you in good but basic ways how to make fire, and purify water without conventional means. Another neat section of the book was when he went into great detail about EDC's (every day carry) which interest me as at the time of reading the book and writing this post I do not have an EDC. While he described many ways to assemble an EDC with examples shown, from what I'm assuming we're other people he knows E DC's, what I liked the most was his writing what and where he kept his EDC items on his person.

While the book kept things basic and understandable, there was a phenomenal amount of information within the book. I found myself very enthralled in the reading of this book, and devoured it in a little over a day. Like I said earlier, this book isn't about TEOTWAWKI but can very easily be adapted knowledge to fit the situation. As for experienced survivalists I don't know if I could recommend this book as I don't imagine it would be useful to someone beyond a novice outdoorsman. But. I have stated, I am brand new to just about anything that pertains to any skills required to survive once TSHTF, so for beginners like me, I would definitely recommend this as a gat transitional book, that will make traversing the survival blogs of the Internet and books of like minded experts a lot easier to understand once you understand the basic.

So overall a pretty good book to read, I have found that it has motivated me to get a better jump on having an EDC ready as soon as possible, and to greater push me to make sure I have at least one bug out bag ready even though it doesn't touch on bug out bags per say. This book made me look at products in stores differently, looking at simple products and what I could "use" it for lol. So in the end am very glad I read this book before the shit hit, and hopefully, if you're a newb like me, you do too.

No comments:

Post a Comment